I’ve always loved to read; as a child I loved Roald Dahl and Enid Blyton amongst others.
Now my bookshelf and Kindle are full of personal development, management and leadership books all of which I find fascinating.
I’m a fast reader so I usually read a book or two a week but if you’re a slower reader then I highly recommend simply reading for 10 minutes a day – that way you’ll get into the habit and get through some great books.
As we approach the summer and holidays I thought it would be great to share some of the books that I’ve read in the last few months that you may enjoy reading for yourself.
Sun lounger reading
The Happiness Project: Or Why I spent a Year Trying to Sing in the Morning, Clean My Closets, Fight Right, Read Aristotle, and Generally Have More Fun – by Gretchen Rubin. The Happiness Project
This is such a lovely read that I literally couldn’t put it down and even set the alarm clock for 5.30am so that I could finish it and give it back to my mum who needed to return it to the library!
You may also find yourself completely absorbed with the book so just remember to reapply that sun tan lotion as you turn the pages!
Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail – by Cheryl Strayed Wild
Reese Witherspoon starred in a film based on this book. I’ve not seen that but I can definitely recommend reading the book. It even made me want to walk part of the Pacific Crest. But only part of it!
- The Life-Changing Magic of Not Giving a F*ck: How to Stop Spending Time You Don’t Have with People You Don’t Like Doing Things You Don’t Want to Do – by Sarah Knight Life Changing Magic
I found this a hilarious read so it’ll definitely make a plane journey – well – fly by!
- Nice girls Don’t Get The Corner Office: Unconscious Mistakes That Women Make That Sabotage Their Careers – by Dr Lois P. Frankel Nice Girls Don’t Corner Office
I recommend getting this book as a physical copy rather than on your Kindle. You may well want to take notes and refer back to them to remind yourself of the unconscious mistakes you make that may be hindering your progress at work.
You know the sorts of things: avoiding office politics, multi-tasking, failure to negotiate, asking permission or smiling inappropriately.
If you work in a corporate environment this is a must read.
- Thrive: The Third Metric to Redefining Success and Creating a Life of Well-Being, Wisdom and Wonder – by Arianna Huffington Thrive
I found this a refreshing read by a successful businesswoman. If you’re interested in learning more about mindfulness then you’ll enjoy this.
- The Glass Elevator: A Guide to Leadership Presence for Women on the Rise Glass Elevator Guide
I’m half way through reading this book. As with the ‘Nice Girls’ above, if you’re working in the corporate environment and want to progress your career then this one is another must read.
- The Promise of a Pencil: How an Ordinary Person Can Create Extraordinary Change -by Adam Braun. The Promise of a Pencil
Adam is a true inspiration. You may want to get the tissues out when you read this – you could well need them!
I’d love to know what books you’re reading this summer. Join the Facebook group and share your favourite reads with everyone. We could get some discussion going.